The Trustee for Blue Oceanic Trust and its subsidiaries (“Bike Bag Hire”) recognise that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure. Bike Bag Hire, like other companies operating in Australia, is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which set clear standards regarding these activities.
This policy contains information about:
- when you can deal with Bike Bag Hire anonymously;
- the purposes for which Bike Bag Hire collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information;
- the types of personal information that Bike Bag Hire collects;
- how Bike Bag Hire collects and holds personal information;
- how you may access the personal information that Bike Bag Hire holds about you, and how you may seek correction of that personal information; and
- how you may complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles by Bike Bag Hire and how Bike Bag Hire will deal with such a complaint.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
When can you deal with Bike Bag Hire anonymously?
Generally, you can deal with Bike Bag Hire anonymously (i.e. without identifying yourself). In certain circumstances however, Bike Bag Hire will ask you to provide personal information because it is required by law to do so, or because it would be impracticable to deal with you anonymously. These circumstances include where you order goods online (including when you pick up such goods from one of our stores), where you return goods for repair, where you purchase goods to be delivered or installed, where you create a Bike Bag Hire account, where you enter one of our competitions, when you submit a request, enquiry, complaint, consumer guarantee or warranty claim, when you pre-order goods and when you purchase goods on lay-by.
Why does Bike Bag Hire collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
Bike Bag Hire collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- providing you with products and/or services requested;
- dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims, and other customer care related activities;
- marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products;
- developing and improving our products and services;
- in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions;
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us (including certain features of Bike Bag Hire accounts or subscriptions through which other users can view certain information about you, unless you opt out of these features);
- payment processing;
- carrying out certain checks (for example, for our fraud or theft prevention processes, if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online);
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom Bike Bag Hire has a business relationship (where you work for, or otherwise represent, such an organisation);
- reconciling payments due to Bike Bag Hire from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers;
- purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Bike Bag Hire or its assets;
- complying with our obligations under agreements with third parties (for example, under our authorised dealer arrangements with Garmin, Raymarine and Navico for warranty purposes); and
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
We may also use and disclose your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Documents (including hard copy documents and electronic documents such as emails) which coincidentally contain personal information will also be retained in accordance with Bike Bag Hire’s normal document retention practices for accounting, legal and business purposes.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any personal information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so where we require this information, we are unlikely to be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want.
What personal information does Bike Bag Hire collect?
The kinds of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- your name;
- your address;
- your date of birth;
- your telephone number(s);
- your e-mail address;
- payment information;
- transaction information;
- your user name and password;
- information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) and, in some specific cases, copies of such identification documents, where we require these to verify your identity;
- information on how you use our products and services;
- your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites;
- your user name for social networking sites that you use, to refer to, or in conjunction with, our goods and services; and
- personal preferences regarding products and services.
How does Bike Bag Hire collect and hold your personal information?
We collect personal information in a number of ways including:
- when you order goods or services from us (either online, in-store or over the telephone);
- when you set up an account with us;
- when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us;
- when you buy goods on lay-by or “duty-free” goods;
- when you pay for goods by cheque;
- when you subscribe to our catalogues or mailing lists;
- when you subscribe to any Bike Bag Hire subscription service;
- when you enter competitions or promotions that we run;
- when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
- when you submit an enquiry using one of our websites;
- when you complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews; and
- when you publicly comment about us on social media sites (for example so that we can answer questions about our products).
Generally, Bike Bag Hire will collect your personal information directly from you. However, Bike Bag Hire also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with Bike Bag Hire. Additionally, if you apply for a job with Bike Bag Hire, we may collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Bike Bag Hire holds personal information in a number of ways, including:
- as part of customer records and other electronic documents on which personal information is contained which are stored on our information technology systems and servers operated by third parties who provide services to us in connection with our business; and
- by securely storing hard copy documents on which personal information is contained, at our various premises and using third party document management and archiving services.
When you create an account with us your details will be added to our marketing database to receive information relating to Bike Bag Hire and our products. You may also choose to receive such information by subscribing to our marketing database via one of our websites.
To opt-out of receiving Bike Bag Hire marketing materials, you will need to unsubscribe from our marketing database. To do this, simply select the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us. Please note that if you have an account with Bike Bag Hire, we may still need to send you essential information about your account.
Sharing your personal information
Bike Bag Hire may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to / from:
- organisations that provide services to us in connection with our business, including customer support, payment processing, administration, archival, data storage, hosting, research, mail and delivery, installation, distribution, logistics, marketing, auditing, share registry, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, debt collection, security or technical services and the operation of Bike Bag Hire websites. In some cases these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf;
- if you return goods to Bike Bag Hire to be repaired, our repairs system administrator, the manufacturer of the goods and authorised repairers;
- law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities;
- parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Bike Bag Hire or its assets;
- our insurers and insurance brokers; and
- to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
Additionally, if you return goods to us on which personal information is stored for repair (for example, on a bike computer or fitness watch) and do not delete that personal information, Bike Bag Hire will send the goods to the repairer. By returning such goods to Bike Bag Hire for repair, you consent to Bike Bag Hire disclosing any personal information contained on the goods to the repairer, by way of Bike Bag Hire sending the goods to the repairer.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
Bike Bag Hire is likely to disclose the personal information that it collects and holds about you to third parties who are not in Australia (such as third parties who are located in the United States of America, Norway, Japan, and the United Kingdom).
How we deal with your personal information if you apply for a job with us
If you apply for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
We will hold, use and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In particular, in considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
In considering your application, we may also collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is stored in a secure environment protected from misuse, interference and loss and any unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
How to access, correct and update your personal information
Upon your request, Bike Bag Hire will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)). Bike Bag Hire reserves the right to charge you an administration fee of $25 for providing access to your personal information and will, of course, require some proof of your identify before providing information to you.
You may also request us to correct the personal information that Bike Bag Hire holds about you. If you do so and we are satisfied that, having regard to a purpose for which the information is held, the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, Bike Bag Hire will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct your personal information to ensure that, having regarding to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
To request access to the personal information that Bike Bag Hire holds about you, or to update or correct that personal information, please send a written request to The Privacy Officer, The Trustee for Blue Oceanic Trust, either by email to email@example.com or by pre-paid post to PO Box 741, Edge Hill QLD 4870.
- if you are a subscriber to our marketing database you can also update your details via the “modify your subscription” option in one of the emails that you receive from us;
- if you subscribe to one of our subscription services you can also update your details via that service.
How to make a complaint
If you are concerned that the way Bike Bag Hire collects, holds, uses or discloses your personal information may be in breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, please send written details of your complaint to The Privacy Officer, The Trustee for Blue Oceanic Trust, either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by pre-paid post to PO Box 741, Edge Hill QLD 4870.
How Bike Bag Hire will handle complaints
After receiving a complaint, we will consider whether we need any further information from you to properly consider and investigate the complaint, and may request such information from you. We will then:
- conduct internal discussions with the relevant business units involved in the collection, holding, use or disclosure of your personal information which is the subject of your complaint, and evaluate whether we believe that such collection, holding, use or disclosure of your personal information was in breach of the Australian Privacy Principles; and
- notify you of the results of our investigation of your complaint.
If the conclusion of our investigation is that our collection, holding, use or disclosure of your personal information was in breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, we will take steps to remedy the breach as soon as reasonably practicable.
We will endeavour to notify you of the results of our investigation of your complaint within 30 days of receiving your complaint. However, if your complaint involves complex matters or requires extensive investigation and consultation, it may not be possible to respond within this timeframe.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint you are entitled under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Information about how to make a complaint is available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.
Additional information for users of our websites
If you visit bikebaghire.com.au, bikebag.shop or any other The Trustee for Blue Oceanic Trust website (the “Websites”) to read, browse or download information, our system may record information such as the date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded. This information is used (i) for statistical and reporting purposes; (ii) for website administration, security and maintenance purposes; and (iii) to direct you to material on our Websites that we believe will be of interest to you.
Like many websites, our Website may use “cookies” from time to time. Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and your log-in status. Cookies may also be used to record non-personal information such as the date, time or duration of your visit, or the pages accessed, for website administration, statistical and maintenance purposes. Any such information will be aggregated and not linked to particular individuals. The default settings of browsers like Internet Explorer usually allow cookies, but users can easily erase cookies from their hard-drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please note that some parts of the Website may not function fully for users that disallow cookies.
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website and use state-of-the-art data transmission encryption, unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send to us via email. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we use our best efforts to ensure its security in our possession.
The Websites may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
Bike Bag Hire sometimes handles personal information relying on exemptions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), for example in relation to (i) employee records; (ii) related bodies corporate; (iii) provision of services to State or Territory authorities; and (iv) operations outside Australia relating to personal information of non-Australians.
If you have any queries or concerns, further information can be obtained by contacting our Privacy Officer by email at email@example.com or by pre-paid post to PO Box 741, Edge Hill QLD 4870.
The Trustee for Blue Oceanic Trust – ABN 34 868 841 046